There’s no denying that it’s been a hard year. In fact, you’re probably looking forward to putting 2020 behind you, but it’s not over yet! You still have to make it through the holiday season, and like much of this year, how you celebrate this season will likely look different than it has in the past.
This year, we’ve grown more appreciative of the necessities and opportunities for quality time with family and friends, even if those interactions must be virtual, with our loved ones physically distant from us. That’s why giving the gift of groceries to your loved ones in the military community might be more fitting than ever!
You won’t have to worry about clothing sizes or shipping big packages, because you can slip them inside holiday cards and mail them from home. Plus, military customers can use them to help them purchase the necessities they may need now, or save them to use on big family meals once this pandemic is behind us.
You can purchase our gift cards online or at any commissary worldwide. The cards are also offered for sale at Navy Exchange (NEX) and Army & Air Force Exchange (AAFES) stores. Likewise, NEX and AAFES gift cards are sold at commissaries, for the convenience of our military customers.
“This level of cooperation between commissaries and the exchanges is part of an ongoing effort to make the military installations one-stop shopping destinations for all authorized patrons.”
Gift Card Program Manager, Defense Commissary Agency
Anyone Can Give The Gift of Groceries
One of the things that makes giving the gift of groceries so special is that you can buy a commissary gift card for an authorized commissary customer, even if you’re not military-affiliated! However, only military customers may use them, so you’re giving a gift that is exclusive to the military community.
The cards sold online are offered in $25 and $50 denominations. while those sold in stores are “open value,” meaning that you can choose a value from as little as $5 to as much as $300 to load on the card.
(If you’re not a customer, we encourage you to call before visiting to ask about local guest access policies for the installation and the commissary, especially overseas and in the current pandemic environment.)
Commissary Gift Card Quick Facts:
- Gift cards are available at all commissaries worldwide and online. The cards are also sold at NEX and AAFES stores.
- Cards are valid for five years from the date of purchase.
- You will be charged a shipping & handling fee for an online order, but there are no fees for purchasing a card in a store.
- There’s no limit to the number of gift cards you can buy, but we recommend that organizations and activities consider ordering their gift cards online if they plan to purchase more than 50 cards at a time.
- Cards can be shipped anywhere in the United States or to an APO, FPO or DPO address outside of the U.S.
- You may check the balance of a gift card online or by calling 877-988-4438. This number is printed on the back of the card and is also the customer service line for gift card questions.
Have you ever given the gift of groceries to a military customer in your life? If so, please share your experience with us in the comments below! And from all of us at the Defense Commissary Agency, we wish you a very happy holiday season!