Mother’s Day will be Sunday, May 12
Mother’s Day is almost here! That means it’s time to prepare to make that day a special one for all of the mothers in your life! Have you ever considered treating Mom to a home-cooked meal to show how much you care? Your Commissary is here to help!
Recipe Challenge: Mother’s Day Edition
Recipe Challenge Guidelines
- We share either a meal solution from Thinking Outside The Box on the Healthy Living section of our website or another recipe that DeCA’s Dietitian has created.
- We challenge you to comment on the post to share how you would tweak the recipe to make it your own within the dietitian-approved nutritional parameters we describe.
For this recipe challenge, we challenge you to “think outside of the box” for Mom’s special meal! Wouldn’t Mom love it if you made a dish just for her that’s both tasty and nutritious? It’s easy to think of fruit as a breakfast food or a quick snack, but the truth is that fruit can be part of any meal! In fact, the USDA recommends making half of your plate fruits or vegetables as part of its MyPlate guidelines.
The beauty of this is that you can make Mom a creation at home that will be truly be something special she can’t order at a drive-thru or even at many restaurants. Because fruits are so versatile, so you can feature them as part of desserts (such as Chocolate Avocado Pudding), side dishes (such as “Oniony” Basil & Watermelon Salad and Refreshing Pineapple & “Greens”) or entrèes (such as Watermelon Pizza).
You can click the links above to view the related recipes on our website and get some great ideas on how to incorporate fruit into many different types of dishes. When you’re ready, we challenge you to come up with your own take on our featured recipe for Mother’s Day: Grilled Peaches with Blue Cheese.
Grilled Peaches with Blue Cheese
Ingredients (serves 2-4):
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- Dash of nutmeg
- 2 large fresh peaches, halved and pitted
- 2 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 1 oz. chopped pecans
- In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the balsamic vinegar, sugar and nutmeg. Simmer until the liquid has reduced by half and the mixture becomes a little thicker. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate so the peaches won’t stick.
- Place peaches with their cut sides facing down on the grill. Cook until the flesh is toasted (about 4-5 minutes). Turn peaches over, brush the cut sides with the balsamic glaze and cook for another 2-3 minutes before removing them from the heat.
- Drizzle the peach tops evenly with the remaining balsamic glaze and sprinkle them with the blue cheese and nuts.
Your creation should:
- Be part of a meal, such as an entrèe, side dish or dessert
- Be cooked or combined with vegetables
- Aim to create a dish that doesn’t use flour or more than 2 tsp. of sugar per 2-4 servings
Ready… Set… Cook!
Please share your creation in the comments below, and feel free to include pictures of the final product or comment on the recipes that others share.
We hope this recipe challenge will add an extra personal touch to Mom’s special day. Happy Mother’s Day in advance to all the moms out there!